
Dear Diary
My So-Called Teenage Life Blog Hop
June 21, 2012
hosted by Christa Desir & Amy L. Sonnichsen
This is going to be so fun!
Step One: Sign up on the linky
Step Two: Dust off those old sappy journals or high school notebooks filled with badpoetry*
Step Three: Skim through them until you find something share-worthy
Step Four: On June 21 POST IT on your blog
Optional: We all love seeing old photos, so if you have one lying around of you as a teen, post that, too.
****************************
I'm going to be honest. When I saw this blogfest, I thought I was going to unearth some long, lost profound thought from half a lifetime ago. I actually spent 45 minutes in the garage digging through tupperware totes to find my authentic, hand-written high school diary. It's pink, has hearts on it and the lock is missing. The date inscribed inside the front has April 1991 scratched out and replaced by June 1992 and there are remnants of the missing pages that were torn from the beginning. The first non-removed entry is dated June 20, 1992 and the diary ends 29 entries later at August 15, 1993, which should have recorded my life from the summer prior to my freshman year of high school through the summer after. In a way, I suppose it does... an abbreviated boy-crazy version, anyway.
It didn't take me long to read through all 29ish pages, as they're 3 x 5 sized... and as I read, I noticed a theme. Instead of posting one full entry about a death of a classmate or the election of Bill Clinton, I'm going to post several excerpts that highlight something I actually found even more interesting.
A couple of years ago, my film aficionado husband thought it would be hysterical to make me watch the first Twilight movie, despite my vehement opposition. He actually put the movie in our Netflix queue. (To this day, I make sure to tell all of his male friends about this.) Unfortunately, it made its way to our mailbox. As we sat in the dark with our gigantic bowl of microwaved popcorn, it felt like it took well over four hours to watch the poofy-haired teenaged vampire and his bland, whiny teen human love interest being awkwardly interested in each other. There were two instances where we paused the movie to openly complain about it. Once was my (admittedly a slight over-reaction) rant about how vampires DO NOT sparkle as I threw the remote control on the floor. The other was actually a few pauses over the exact same thing: meaningless/meaningful staring. It's this second issue that I want to focus on now, because (thank goodness) there were no sparkly, wussy vamps at my high school. So, back to the staring contests... what was all that about? I was so angry at that movie for stealing away 120 long minutes of my life that I could never get back... and it was mainly because over half of it was just people staring at one another with expressions as if they'd just gotten a whiff of bad cheese, then looking away. My husband and I went on and on about how NO ONE does that. Well, luckily, I didn't bet money on that statement. Now, for your viewing pleasure, I present 100% true and accurately transcribed snippets (grammatical issues included) from my awful, awful, awful diary:
****************************
Thursday, August 27"Anyway there's a guy in two of my classes, and his name's Andy Hernandez. He remembered me from 5th grade! I didn't reconize him, but I pretended I did. He's pretty good looking !! :-) And he's been looking at me everytime I see him!"
Saturday, Sept. 13
"On to another
Monday, October 5
"What does bother me is none of them have said they like me, but it's pretty obvious that they're constantly looking at me."
Thursday, November 19
"I was daydreaming at the bus loop and I looked up. Suddenly, there we were, me and Whitar, staring at eachother. It seems to happen alot... Ever since the day I really noticed him, I see him everywhere on campus + each time he's looking at me, too."
Tuesday, December 1
"The same thing happens with Carl - the staring, I mean. I really like him, but I'm not sure what to do. I could almost melt when his eyes meet mine. I have to turn away. Maybe I can figure out a way to let him know I like him. But how? Oh Boy, life's tough."
Friday, January 29
"I love Carl!!! I can't help it. The way he looks at me, everything about him."
Friday, June 4
"It's the last day of school, I mean, was the last day of school. My freshman year is over... I took one last look at him as my bus drove off."
****************************



I guess we can learn some things from our teenage selves. That's funny.
I would assume this didn't turn you into a Twilight lover though. :)
Bahaha! Everyone was LOOKING AT YOU. All the time. This is so perfectly high school. I love love love it.
I love the June 4th entry. Very dramatic, very high school.
And I had a similar reaction to the sparkly vampires.
ha ha ha! I'm laughing my butt off over here. ha ha ha!!! I'm so glad you participated ... and I guess, yes, let's be honest, now we all know why Twilight has its appeal. Oh my word, funny!
Oh, I love, love, love this blogfest. I can't believe how many diary entries I'm reading that sound JUST LIKE MINE. We were in high school at the same time...maybe there's something to that. Or maybe we were all ultra-hormoned freaks. I don't know. But thanks for sharing! It's nice to know I'm in good company.
And, I love your blog. The title is so something I wish I would have gotten to first :)
Oh that is hilarious!
All looks and no action? You poor thing! LOL
"On to another guy (oops!) I mean subject. There is a guy named Whitar. I think he's Korean, but I'm not sure. Anyway he's been looking at me alot."
Hahaha, this is my favorite entry. Thanks for sharing! :)
Okay, that was officially hilarious. Ahhh, I would probably have the same reaction to the twilight movie, but now that I think about it, there was a lot of STARING in hs. Ver, very funny.
That was a lot of staring. Oh, to be in high school again. I'm sure I did my share of staring. Luckily, my memory's not that great. Since you seem to love staring so much, let me recommend another movie that replaces a ridiculous amount of dialogue with staring: Drive. But at least it has a few gory scenes to make it interesting.
Thank you, thank you, thank you, All! Sometimes all you can do is look back and laugh at the younger version of yourself... and wonder what all that angst was about, right?
And Michael, don't get me started on 'Drive'... what a misleading title!!! I drive very fast to the soundtrack whenever my kid's not in the car in an attempt to try to make up for the disappointment I had in that movie. ;-)