
Time (March 16, 2006)
I was doing a bit of pondering today and I became fascinated with the fact that time is relative. Sometimes months go by and you feel as though you've done absolutely no growing or changing when you look back ... and other times you accomplish so much in one weekend that you feel years ahead of yourself in terms of your progression in life. One day you wake up at noon and wonder what you've been doing with your life and the next you might jump out of bed and do the very thing you've been talking about doing for years. Some days you are so driven and focused at work that it's time to go home before you realize it ... and then there are the days that drag on forever as you watch the minutes click past one by one on the clock. Your mood, your work load or who's currently most involved in your life... anything can alter your sense of time. "They" say that timing is everything... well, what is time? I googled it and found the following...
**********************************************
As spiritual beings, we are responsible for actualizing the potential holiness that God imbues in each moment.
One of the easiest questions to answer is: "What time is it?" One of the most difficult questions to answer is: "What is time?"
We measure time's passage by hours, days, months, and years, but what is the elusive reality that we are measuring? A physicist would answer that time is the way that we measure the rotations and revolutions of the heavenly bodies.
But while the movement of the heavenly bodies is circular, the human sense of time is linear. On the physical level, the earth turns around today just like it turned around yesterday. On the deepest level, however, we know that yesterday should not be just a repetition of today, and this year should not be just a repetition of last year. We understand intuitively that our lives must move not in circles, but in spirals, with every rotation higher than the preceding one.
We also know that time runs out, and our bodies can endure only a certain number of years before they perish. This subconscious awareness of own mortality also colors our relationship to time and its passage.
The Arizal, the almost legendary mystic scholar, pointed out that the rotations and revolutions that physically mark the passage of time have a spiritual parallel. Every year is unique in terms of its potential, as is every month, every day, every hour. Every day and moment has its own unique gift in terms of its particular constellation of energy. We can either utilize that gift or spurn it.
**********************************************
Just FYI: I found this article on a Jewish website about Mazal Tov ... which is not something I would have thought that I'd find myself researching ... but it provided me with some food for thought on my lunch break at work today and I thought I would share.


0 comments:
Post a Comment