...That's What She Said

Sporadic observations and accounts of my daily world and creative pursuits

Current Status:

Volunteers needed to critique a sci-fi short. Please feel free to comment if up for the challenge!

Quote of the Week:

“A short story is a different thing all together - a short story is like a kiss in the dark from a stranger.” ~Stephen King

...and the Oscar goes to... (September 25, 2007)

I think I've been better about letting things go lately... and by lately, I mean recent weeks. We all know that patience isn't one of my finer virtues, but if the Universe was trying to teach me to roll with the punches and focus on the things in life that actually matter, then I must admit that it's been a good teacher... or maybe I just finally took the time to listen more closely.

Christine The Green Machine (a/k/a my car) decided to flash me her ever so bright check engine light within 48 hours of dumping my entire savings account into her repair last week. Yesterday, she was slow to start... so I'm hoping for a dying battery and not a faulty starter. Last night she barely started up at all. Fun stuff... but it's just stuff, right? I'm counting myself lucky that I moved so close to the office. In addition, yesterday, my cell phone decided that it wasn't going to vibrate anymore. I now have the options of ring and silent, which is not very convenient at all when I'm trying to remain in stealth mode without missing messages. More fun. Despite these little aggravations in life, this morning I found myself calm, collected and pondering... my typical Tuesday self... instead of stressing out over the recent mechanical malfunctions. I feel that things are going to work out, so what's to worry about? For example, last week I let the naughty neighbors get to me. Twice, in passing, I made eye contact with Asshat I and Asshat II who most certainly vandalized my property... and while I'm not threatened by them per se, I was dumbfounded by the lack of remorse I encountered. I simply do not and cannot understand how someone could cause another person harm and then not be sorry for it. How can they act as though nothing happened? How can they not run inside with their heads hung low in shame at the mere sight of me? I was disturbed. Yet, I managed to find solace within my thoughts this week. The best way to sum it up may be to use an analogy from the entertainment industry. When Scorsese won the Oscar last year for The Departed, everyone was happy... for the most part. Some complained that he should have won it for Goodfellas, but in retrospect it seemed like the masses were appeased because he finally got what he deserved... it's almost as though it didn't matter what film he won that little gold statue for... just that he won. That's how I feel about my situation, on a less grand scale, of course. This guy is stupid. He's going to do something else stupid in the future and he's going to end up in prison some day. This whole thing with my car was his Goodfellas... so if he doesn't get what he deserves now, I have faith that his version of The Departed is something I can look forward to.

How's that for optimism?

0 comments:

Post a Comment