
It’s just like C.S.I. ...except a lot slower. (September 18, 2007)
My car repair guy called me today to let me know that the new paint job looks fantastic and that they took the initiative to smooth out and repair some minor rear damage from a collision previous to my ownership so that it really would be as good as new. Nice! They're going to balance my tires and detail it tomorrow morning and I get to go pick her up tomorrow afternoon. I am so thankful... not having wheels on the weekends has sucked. That will teach me not to sign up for rental car coverage with my insurance.
In other news, the detective assigned to my case called me last night. I have "a case". It's so official and exciting. I've never had "a case" before. Ok, well... there was that one time after my jaw was broken in a country bar... but that is a story for another day. Back to my detective... (oooh, I have my own detective!) He was very friendly, concerned and helpful. I provided him with some additional info that I'd come across through casual conversations in the neighborhood and he's going to look up the records of the suspects' names to compare the prints and then come here to do some "interviews". I try not to believe anything I see on television, but I was rather disappointed to learn that you can't really just put a print into a scanner and get a computer print out of the fingerprint's owner in a mere 10 seconds. I mean... really... needing a name to actually pull records? What is this? The stone age? Oh, C.S.I. how you have set me up for a major disappointment. This is like that time I told my mother that Survivor was actually filmed on the old set of Cast Away and she nearly cried.
Lastly, since my laundry has another 20 minutes to go, I'll share a revelation that my co-worker brought to light this morning. I can't remember how it came up, but I was telling him about how many years ago when I was a photo lab manager for Eckerd, I was continually transferred from store to store to get the labs in order, teach the employees a little something about photography and get the machines running properly. He remarked that my previous law firm job and my current one are the same way. I never get to just sit in one department and do the same thing every day... I have to train people and take on new tasks every other week. I'm a catch all... a "fixer". That's when Jay made the big connection and said, "It's kinda like you and men, too." Wow. It took a man to put my whole life in a nut shell.
I'm actually pretty tired of fixing scenarios, departments, things and people. So, I'm not putting this out there for anyone in particular... maybe just the Universe in general... but, as Pedro the Lion would sing, "How about fixin' me?"
In other news, the detective assigned to my case called me last night. I have "a case". It's so official and exciting. I've never had "a case" before. Ok, well... there was that one time after my jaw was broken in a country bar... but that is a story for another day. Back to my detective... (oooh, I have my own detective!) He was very friendly, concerned and helpful. I provided him with some additional info that I'd come across through casual conversations in the neighborhood and he's going to look up the records of the suspects' names to compare the prints and then come here to do some "interviews". I try not to believe anything I see on television, but I was rather disappointed to learn that you can't really just put a print into a scanner and get a computer print out of the fingerprint's owner in a mere 10 seconds. I mean... really... needing a name to actually pull records? What is this? The stone age? Oh, C.S.I. how you have set me up for a major disappointment. This is like that time I told my mother that Survivor was actually filmed on the old set of Cast Away and she nearly cried.
Lastly, since my laundry has another 20 minutes to go, I'll share a revelation that my co-worker brought to light this morning. I can't remember how it came up, but I was telling him about how many years ago when I was a photo lab manager for Eckerd, I was continually transferred from store to store to get the labs in order, teach the employees a little something about photography and get the machines running properly. He remarked that my previous law firm job and my current one are the same way. I never get to just sit in one department and do the same thing every day... I have to train people and take on new tasks every other week. I'm a catch all... a "fixer". That's when Jay made the big connection and said, "It's kinda like you and men, too." Wow. It took a man to put my whole life in a nut shell.
I'm actually pretty tired of fixing scenarios, departments, things and people. So, I'm not putting this out there for anyone in particular... maybe just the Universe in general... but, as Pedro the Lion would sing, "How about fixin' me?"


0 comments:
Post a Comment