
Gone Hunting
Have you ever been in a slump, borderline depressed and lacking inspiration, wondering how you can force change upon yourself... only to have the Universe shake up your reality for you? Well, that's what's been going on with me lately. After I identified the root causes of my lack of writing and blogging, I started to make a plan of action, only I assume it wasn't the best plan for me because fate intervened.
Two days after my last IWSG post, my entire department was laid-off. This workforce reduction included not only myself, but my VP and SVP who'd been promising a big promotion, as well as my staff of analysts and processors. It was unexpected and it took me a few weeks to recover from the shock. Worse than the lack of notice, there were no severance packages offered and they did not pay out the three weeks of unused PTO I'd stockpiled. I was devastated and unprepared. This event could very well have thrown me back into that slump I was talking about earlier. However, after spending six weeks with my son on an impromptu summer vacation, I now have a tan for the first time in over five years and a new perspective on life. Forced to cut expenses and survive off less than half your previous income truly shows you what matters most. Now that my little one has returned to school (Kindergarten... I feel so old!!!), I've gotten more aggressive with the job search and am in hot pursuit of three solid leads. Each potential opportunity would be an even better job than my last and I am optimistic about the future. I've had a few creative sparks recently, too, and while I've spent a lot more time drafting different versions of my resume and cover letter than I have my memoir, I have worked on some projects that have helped me feel more like myself. One such project was the creation of a website, complete with content written by and some photos taken by yours truly... for my husband's new band that is starting to pick up momentum. I may not have a story to share, but I did get to practice my interviewing skills when writing the band member's bios, so please feel free to have a look and let me know if you have any suggestions or feedback:
Well, what did you think? Should I become an official webmaster or stick to my day job (when I get another one, that is)?
Back to writing... Granted, I've got more time on my hands lately, so I should be working on my book... or maybe editing my sci-fi short... but truth be told, I feel guilty if 80% of my time on the computer isn't dedicated to finding stable employment. So, in the meantime, I'll keep hunting... but I'll be back soon... and better than ever. If you know of any flash fiction contests or blog hops coming up, please let me know because I can think of no better way to get back into the blogging routine. Thanks in advance!


You did a god job! Which one is your husband?
You could do both until the web design takes off. Or, if your family is surviving on your current income, you could go all out with doing freelance work. Yeah, it would be scary. I do some web design where I work but I'd never go solo.
Of course, you are probably more motivated than me!
Aw, thanks for the praise, Alex! Sadly though, we are not "surviving" on my current income (unemployment), so as the savings account dwindles down, my job hunt has to amp up. I don't think I have the technical know-how to start my own web design business with far more skilled people out there, but I think I'd like to try my hand at a few more for friends or family... just for fun.
Oh and the hubs is the bass player... oooh, now you have personal info on me, when I only know you as a drawing of Captain America Ninja Turtle :-)