
IWSG: April Challenges
Thank goodness for First Wednesdays... and thanks to Alex J. Cavanaugh, it's the day we insecure writers come together to share our pitfalls and inspirations. To learn more and read other's posts, click the photo link!
Who's feeling like an April Fool for not participating in the A - Z challenge this month? This gal, right here. My contribution to IWSG this month won't be inspiration to others this time around, unfortunately. Instead, I'm wallowing in a slump of insecurity about my abilities to commit to writing... this blog, or otherwise.
In the last three months, I took a little time away from blogging to work on editing my completed sci-fi short that clocks in at about 7,000 words. Then, all heck broke loose at work. So, after nine hours of non-stop stress at the office, an hour in traffic, mom duty, puppy duty and clean-up... these last few weeks I haven't mustered the energy to even sit down at the computer, let alone type something at the end of the night. What about the weekends? Ah yes... those... well, first my mother was in town, then my hub's best friend, then it was my birthday...
So, dear blogging friends, how do all of you find the time to dedicate so much of yourselves to your writing, to your readers... just to yourself? At this point, I'll take any and all the advice I can get!



First off..happy (belated) birthday! Hope it was a fun one :)
I'm a night owl, so I cram a lot of my writing in when things are quiet. I've found that writing in these 'off hours'seems to go smoother with less distractions.
Granted, it's not the right time for everyone..., but it's seemed to work for me, so far.
Good luck in finding that balance to your writing.
Sometimes life hits like that and you do what you have to do. Exhaustion is not a great state to be in to write, edit, create.
Be patient with yourself, heck, you have a finished short story! It will come and I imagine that if you try to push it, over-exert, that it will push back. Try softer. I keep telling myself that. :)
And Happy Belated Birthday! :)
You are right, writing requires a strong commitment, of course apart from the smart ...
Greetings from afar Indonesia.
asked permission to follow you ...
If you have time, please visit my blog and follow course .. .. thank you
Happy belated birthday! Finding the time and energy is the hardest part. I always want to catch up on things during the weekends, but that rarely happens. My 14-month-old requires constant attention, and by the time the evening rolls around, I'm too exhausted to think. So I haven't felt as productive as of late, either. All I can say, and do, is just keep plugging away a little at a time, which doesn't seem like much now, but I'll hopefully feel a sense of accomplishment a few months down the road.
Sometimes I go with all the distractions and try not to hit myself over the head for not being able to write. Other than that, I try to consciously schedule time. Not always easy of course.
Lynda R Young
IWSG co-host
I killed my television. It really helped.
The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do. - Jack Sparrow
Mind advice given by a pirate.
I'm sorry but the truth is you have to make time. You clearly love your first mother enough not to put writing ahead of her. You need to love writing enough to make time for it. Try blogging my twice a week to take the big stress off, then expand as you see fit.