...That's What She Said

Sporadic observations and accounts of my daily world and creative pursuits

Current Status:

Volunteers needed to critique a sci-fi short. Please feel free to comment if up for the challenge!

Quote of the Week:

“A short story is a different thing all together - a short story is like a kiss in the dark from a stranger.” ~Stephen King

Belated Liebster Award


So, it has been several weeks... and I've had out-of-town visitors staying at my house over the past 3 weeks... but I'm finally able to get back on here to announce that I was awarded the Liebster Award from Nancy LaRonda Johnson at Writer's Mark! Like her, I'm very honored as this is also my first nomination for a blog award not related to a flash fiction or writing contest. I'm starting to get sucked into this little blogging community more and more... and I think it's a good thing!

Here are the rules:

  1. Thank the blogger who presented this award and link back to their blog –
  2. Thanks Nancy! This was just what I needed to get back into the swing of blogging & it's a fun way to get to know one another better.
  3. Answer 11 questions posted by the presenter, ask your nominees 11 questions, and list eleven random facts about yourself.
  4. Check.
  5. Nominate 11 bloggers who you feel deserve this award and who have less than 200 followers.
  6. Check.
  7. Post the award on your blog.
  8. And check!
Here are 11 *random* facts about me:
  1. I am the only person I know who has successfully escaped a high speed police chase.
  2. I have a pension for adopting defective animals - the more disease ridden, strange looking and/or neurotic, the better.
  3. I met my mother for the first time when I was 24 years old.
  4. I was inspired to track down my mother and start a relationship with her as a result of my love of watching my second favorite TV series, Gilmore Girls.
  5. My first favorite TV series is Battlestar Gallactica.
  6. The only broken bone I've ever had was a hairline fracture in my jaw, from being sucker punched in the bathroom of a country bar.
  7. I don't like or listen to country music, especially since my one and only visit to a country bar.
  8. R.E.M.'s Automatic For The People album was the sole reason I survived high school.
  9. I find cat vomit hilarious... in fact, I'm giggling right now having merely typed the words.
  10. I have been attacked, chased and/or bitten by the following animals: dog, cat, horse, bobcat, mole, squirrel, raccoon, barracuda, giraffe, goat, snake, hamster, rat, alligator, wolf spider and sand shark.
  11. I've only had rabies once.
The 11 questions asked by Nancy with my answers are:


  1. Does your name have a backstory? Were you named after someone, does it have a special meaning, etc.  
  2. I don't have a lot of info on any childhood backstories, unfortunately... so, I don't know if it's true, but my grandmother once told me that my name was going to be Dawn until my father met a little girl in the hospital who was dying from leukemia named Tanya while my mother was in labor. I do know that roughly translated, my name means "Russian Fairy Princess"... The princess part couldn't be further from the truth and I'm not Russian, but fairies are ok, I guess.
  3. What’s the one thing you wish you could brag to everyone about?
  4. Well, of course that would be that I am a published author, but I can't do that until I've finished a project worth publishing.
  5. What’s your favorite word and why? Actually, "why" is my favorite current word... because it's so much fun to answer when my 4 year old son asks it.
  6. If you could eat as much of anything you wanted without stopping until you could pop whenever you wanted, what would it be?  Without hesitation, I pick NY style cheescake. Wait... maybe pizza... No, I'm going to stick to my soon-to-explode gut and say cheesecake.
  7. What’s the one thing you wish you could say to your spouse/parents/siblings/best friend but haven’t?  I'm pretty open with my spouse and best friends... but parents and sibling, oooh... that's a tough one... and personal, too... I will say that it wouldn't be something very positive.
  8. If you could make someone in your family the MC in a book or story, who would it be and what type of character would they be?  Well, my current WIP is a memoir, so they are all playing themselves.
  9. If you could be a #1 NY Times bestseller for the one book you’ve written and can ever write, or be a relatively unknown writer of many books, what would you choose and why?  I think my answer might be the opposite of most, as most people have tons of stories to share... Myself, on the other hand, I have many stories to put into a memoir that could very well turn out to be my life's work at the pace I'm going, so I'll go with the #1 bestseller for a single book... because I would be very happy to have that one thing do well.
  10. Who’s your favorite actor and in what movie?  I loved Tim Robins in The Shawshank Redemption, Robert Dinero in Heat, Brad Pitt in Fight Club, Jim Carrey in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and Bradley Cooper in Silver Linings Playbook... equally, don't make me pick.
  11. If you could only have a TV or stereo system (and no other music playing device), which would you pick?  This must be a trick question.  Does this stereo system have a built-in MP3 player or how about satellite radio?  I don't listen to the radio if it can be avoided, but I do prefer music over television these days since nearly all of my favorite shows are off the air.
  12. Would you rather vacation somewhere hot or cold, and where would that be? I grew up in Miami, FL, where many people vacation, so I would love to take a trip to the mountains soon... Montana or Colorado.
  13. What’s your most controversial belief? There are two things I never bring up at family dinners, and those same two things I generally keep out of my blog, too: religion and politics. But to not skirt the question entirely, I will say that I believe that both science and religion go hand in hand and should balance each other out.
The 11 nominees I am choosing to keep the Liebster Award going are:
  1. Millie Burns
  2. Kristen Hart
  3. Ed Venture
  4. Leslie Starr O'Hara
  5. Jessica Marcarelli
  6. Rachel Featherstone
  7. Sarah Chafin
  8. Lexie C.
  9. Mencara
  10. Jess Schira
  11. Sarah
And the 11 questions for my nominees to answer are:
  1. Why did you start your blog?
  2. Are you going to participate in the A-Z writing challenge in April? Why or why not?
  3. Enough about writing, we talk about that all the time... let's get to know you! What was the very last thing you ate?
  4. How many pairs of shoes do you own?
  5. What book are you currently reading?
  6. What is your least favorite thing about yourself?
  7. What is your favorite thing about yourself?
  8. What are your thoughts on happy endings?
  9. What was the last movie you watched? Did you like it?
  10. What is the farthest you've ever been from home?
  11. Do you have any odd or special talents?
There we have it... let the Liebstering continue!  I'm looking forward to sharing with some new people and making new connections, how about you?  :-)

5 comments:

  1. Mark Means said...
     

    Congrats on the award and I won't even ask what you did to a giraffe to make it attack you :)

  2. Simply Sarah said...
     

    Congrats and thanks for nominating me! I will answer the questions and everything as soon as I am able. Its fun to learn more about the other bloggers out there!

  3. Chancelet said...
     

    Man, the random things about yourself certainly would make for a good book/movie, so it's no surprise to me you're writing a memoir. I'd love to read it.

    And I agree with your controversial belief. Great post.

  4. Kirsten said...
     

    Congratulations on the award and thanks for the nomination.
    Hope you're having a great weekend! :-)

  5. d' zaro said...
     

    Congratulations on the award ... AND introduce me at Indonesia...
    I follow you.. please follow back me.. thank's..

Post a Comment