...That's What She Said

Sporadic observations and accounts of my daily world and creative pursuits

Current Status:

Volunteers needed to critique a sci-fi short. Please feel free to comment if up for the challenge!

Quote of the Week:

“A short story is a different thing all together - a short story is like a kiss in the dark from a stranger.” ~Stephen King

IWSG & Buccaneer Blogfest - Final Countdown - Part 2


Click any of the photo links below for full details:    
         

Today I've got two themes to attend to, one for the final stretch of the Buccaneer Blogfest and the other for my monthly contribution to the Insecure Writer's Support Group.  First, let's get the fun stuff out of the way: it's time to grab some booty!  And by that, I mean blogger treasure.  Unfortunately, I'm not published (that will be a long time away unless I get my own booty in gear and finish my book this year) and I don't have anything to personally give away as a prize... but I can cheat a little bit and point you to another blog where you can put your name into a drawing to win free stuff:


The fantastic logo above belongs to Curiosity Quills Publishing and there are several ways you can win points, read some new books and support others in the writing community.  Good luck!


Now... for the less fun stuff.  My insecurities this month aren't too different from what they were two months ago when I last posted.  I'm still struggling to balance work, home and writing.  I'm still making excuses and not finding the time or motivation to write as much as I should or could be.  However, there is one little thing that's different.  Many fellow bloggers often post about fear or rejection on the first Wednesday of the month, but I've yet to complete something that can be sent out into the world to be turned down.  However, I posted a link to a fairly fierce competition on Monday called "Write Club" where stories will compete head to head for a potential publishing contest.  I submitted an excerpt from my memoir WIP that is just under 500 words.  The submissions will be posted anonymously and hundreds of readers will vote.  The winner is looking at a potential publishing deal.  With so many entries, mine may not even be chosen to compete... but I can't help but wonder how I'll feel if it is... and I then have to read through hundreds of comments about why the story other than mine was better.  I certainly don't think I'll take it personal or anything, but this could very well be my first round of pre-publication pursuit rejections.  I just hope I'm ready for it!

7 comments:

  1. Unknown said...
     

    I saw the Write Club contest and it looks really cool. I wanted to sign up for it, but I feel like I'm doing too much as it is. From your recommendation I downloaded Ready Player One. I'm about a fourth of the way through, and if the rest is as good as it's been so far, it will be one of my favorite books. I don't want to jinx it though. Thanks for the suggestion! :)

  2. Green Monkey said...
     

    Hello, I'm visiting from IWSG.

    Just reading that scares me! I want to do it but I'm not sure if I could handle the comments because my story is still too painful. Good LUCK!

  3. Katharina Brendel said...
     

    It is great that you are putting yourself out there! Good luck with your entry :)

    & balancing real-life with writing can be very hard, I'm struggling with that as well. As long as you try to write at least a little and make progress that is all that counts!

  4. Joylene Nowell Butler said...
     

    Happy IWSG. I'm trying to balance my writing career with my husband who's now retired. Wow, who'd have thought it'd be this hard. Haha. But I'm blog-hopping anyway, wondering how Alex visits all of them in 3 days. I'm not even close.

    Nice to meet you. Your profile pic is beautiful.

  5. T said...
     

    I don't think you can jinx it, it was a great story! So glad you're enjoying it!

  6. T said...
     

    Thanks, GM, Katharina & Joylene!!! I appreciate the kind words... and I, too, am so far behind in commenting on other blogs. Now that my month long blog fest is over, I hope I can catch up! :-)

  7. T said...
     

    Awwww, and thanks... You're too sweet... photography is as much a passion of mine as writing, so I'm grateful to receive positive feedback in either area! :-)

Post a Comment