...That's What She Said

Sporadic observations and accounts of my daily world and creative pursuits

Current Status:

Volunteers needed to critique a sci-fi short. Please feel free to comment if up for the challenge!

Quote of the Week:

“A short story is a different thing all together - a short story is like a kiss in the dark from a stranger.” ~Stephen King

Thanksgiving & a lost spider. (November 27, 2005)

I drove down to Port St. Lucie to share Thanksgiving dinner with my grandmother, my mother, her pirate and an old friend of the family that I hadn't seen since I was a teenager. Her name is Betsy and I always thought she was a friend of my father and stepmother's as she was around for a good portion of my childhood. I spent one summer with her in a castle on the beach in Key Largo. Those weeks make up one of my favorite childhood memories. As it turns out, she was actually my mother's best friend from high school, but that was a well kept secret... so I expected to feel weird being at Betsy's house with my newly found mother for the very first time. This was not the case however, and I cheerily helped in the kitchen and chatted over a glass of wine by the pool after the meal. I then had the pleasure of taking grandma home, where I spent the night. She enjoyed having my dog and I around for company, so I took her constant critiques of my driving and mention of my unmarried status with stride, knowing that just my presence was the highlight of her month. One of my worst fears is ending up the same... an old, bitter, grumpy, lonely hermit of a woman who has nothing better to do then watch the news and the neighbors. Anyway, the next day, I got to chill with grandma some more while we awaited the arrival of my mother and the pirate. We had reservations at my mother's favorite seafood restaurant (anyone who knows me will know how thrilled I was with the menu). It was after the arrival at Conchy Joe's that Thanksgiving got ugly. Instance number one occurred when Mom and Pirate left the table for a smoke break and Grandma and I got into a debate over the ban of smoking from restaurants. I simply stated that it made sense because even with the divided sides, the smoke still made its way over to the non-smoking side and it wasn't fair to the people who choose not to breathe smoke into their lungs. Her argument was that only smokers get picked on and she wanted the government to ban inappropriate dancing in public places because it made her ill. Though I tried to argue that cancer causing smoke and drunk people dry humping on a dance floor were wrong for two entirely different reasons, she refused to hear a word of it. Round two came about when Mom and Grandma left for smoke break number two... and I was left alone with the pirate as I finished my drink and waited on the check. He'd been trying his best to be friendly toward me and used this moment to ask me why I said I didn't think it was a good idea for them to announce their engagement to my grandmother over Thanksgiving dinner. I started off by explaining that we're not exactly over the loss of my mother's late husband, all of this had happened rather suddenly and ended by crying right in front of him. *Sigh* I left for the car and we all had an unusually quiet ride home. I suppose my mother has since been informed that I'm not thrilled with the idea. I've been supportive for the most part during our phone calls because I do want her to be happy... but for reasons I cannot share here, it just isn't right. I hope that one day it will be... and now I must find a way to make amends for unintentionally hurting his feelings. I only have two weeks to sort things out in my head because I have to fly down there for a weekend and drive the PT Loser back home before the lease ends on my Audi. Speaking of, I need to stop being so materialistic and making fun of the biggest gift anyone has ever given me in my life... a free car. I never thought I'd become spoiled... but sometimes spending money on the wrong things will do that to a person. I think driving my mother's old car around for a while is going to be a humbling experience. I hope it gets be back on the right track... even if it's a slower one.

While I'm on the car subject, I may as well purge the latest automobile related event from my mind so that I feel completely rid of any negativity. Wednesday night I picked up my car from the body shop where I had a dent fixed. They did a lovely job... my beautiful little sports car is in mint condition once again. I drove it on the turnpike without so much as a rock ding from a semi-truck. I parked at a friend's house for a few hours where cats are in abundance, but none took the liberty of hopping up on my hood. All was well with my pristine driving machine... until after a late night, I decided to leave my car parked in an apartment complex parking lot. Upon returning to my car this morning, I noticed a dirty Dodge parked extremely close to mine. I barely had enough room to squeeze by and crack open my door enough to get in. I immediately noticed a scratch on my door where the door of the Dodge had opened into mine. Then I noticed a lovely stream of dried vomit on my fender and covering my wheel. I was nearly angry enough to use my keys to render a little justice, but it just isn't in me to vandalise other people's property. Instead, I vented through some aggressive driving on the way home. Once there, I discovered that the entire driver's side of my car was covered in tiny white scratches. An hour later, the barf was cleaned up and all but two of the scratches were buffed out... and I was sitting in my driveway in tears. I worked so hard to save up the money get my car in tip top shape before I give it back to the dealership... and within 3 days, some A-hole messed it up again. With hopeless thoughts that things just go wrong for me no matter what I did, I collapsed on my bed, exhausted from the intense buffing session. I saw movement out of the corner of my eye... a small black spider was making its way across my sheet. I read somewhere once that people eat nine spiders a year during their sleep and immediately took action... with a piece of paper, I coaxed it to hitch a ride to the porcelain express. As I watched the water cyclone deliver the eight legged threat to a watery death, I suddenly felt a pang of realization. This lesson is one that I must never forget. The Universe isn't out to get me... bad things don't happen just to balance out the good to keep me in check... God doesn't give a crap about my situation or my silly car. It was just very simply in the wrong place at the wrong time... just like the spider.

0 comments:

Post a Comment