
"Suffer For Fashion" (March 30, 2007)
Eulogy for Hooker Heels
Several years ago on a dust free illuminated acrylic shelf,
My eye was caught by the metallic glisten of something pink.
I'd just finished dining at my favorite fancy outdoor cafe,
Several years ago on a dust free illuminated acrylic shelf,
My eye was caught by the metallic glisten of something pink.
I'd just finished dining at my favorite fancy outdoor cafe,
While watching South Beachers only pretend to eat and drink.
It had become tradition to window shop once the meal was done,
My mother always making sure that the looking led to buying.
The hot pink leather twinkled in the fluorescent light,
And I knew if I said I didn't want these shoes, I would be lying.
On the way home a shirt was purchased to match,
It was made of aluminum and colored the identical shade.
With a bit of hairspray, dash of make-up and splash of glitter,
I looked just like every other fashion obsessed girl in Miami-Dade.
While it was previously avoided, never expected or intended at all,
As time passed, more pink clothing was snatched off store racks.
And I knew if I said I didn't want these shoes, I would be lying.
On the way home a shirt was purchased to match,
It was made of aluminum and colored the identical shade.
With a bit of hairspray, dash of make-up and splash of glitter,
I looked just like every other fashion obsessed girl in Miami-Dade.
While it was previously avoided, never expected or intended at all,
As time passed, more pink clothing was snatched off store racks.
The spree extended to bags and belts and many, many jackets,
And this girly girl was transformed from the one who only wore black.
And this girly girl was transformed from the one who only wore black.
From I-Bar to gay bars, from Orlando to Miami to Key West,
These hot pink heels carried me through many nights and long days.
My shiny metallic stilettos have been admired and often borrowed,
And I've dreaded the day when I'd find that they'd become old and frayed.
Sadly, I must admit that my favorite pair of shoes have met their end,
For I've worn them enough to have walked from one ocean to another.
Today is the day that the stripper shoes gave up their will and died,
It's time to buy grown up shoes now, which will surely please my mother.
My shiny metallic stilettos have been admired and often borrowed,
And I've dreaded the day when I'd find that they'd become old and frayed.
Sadly, I must admit that my favorite pair of shoes have met their end,
For I've worn them enough to have walked from one ocean to another.
Today is the day that the stripper shoes gave up their will and died,
It's time to buy grown up shoes now, which will surely please my mother.


R.I.P.
2003 - 2007


0 comments:
Post a Comment