...That's What She Said

Sporadic observations and accounts of my daily world and creative pursuits

Current Status:

Volunteers needed to critique a sci-fi short. Please feel free to comment if up for the challenge!

Quote of the Week:

“A short story is a different thing all together - a short story is like a kiss in the dark from a stranger.” ~Stephen King

I think I'll stick to "winter white" from now on. (July 6, 2007)

A couple of years ago I bought a pants suit down in Miami. It was white with tiny black pinstripes. From far away, you couldn't really see the stripes. After receiving a few Saturday Night Fever comments from co-workers in reference to my new suit, I gave the jacket away, but kept the pants. I did so, because on five different occasions where I wore the pants out ont he town with just a little black shirt, complete strangers on the street stopped me to advise me how fabulous my butt looked in them. When something like that happens a few times, you know the article of clothing is a keeper. Thus, the white pants were allowed to stay in my closet... and they even got to live on one of the "good" hangers.

I wore these pants with a black dress shirt to work yesterday. At 4:00 PM it started to rain heavily. No worries... I had an umbrella. At 4:45 I clocked out, collected my things and started walking past scenic Lake Eola and toward home. At 4:50 PM a torrential downpour began and the winds picked up. However, the pocket umbrella was doing a good job of keeping my top half dry. Between crosswalks and waiting for a traffic light change, three car horns beeped loudly and caused me to jump with surprise. Somewhere on Central, a man barked at me. I started to worry that I'd perhaps underestimated the power of my fab white pants... and upon arriving home, I realized I was correct, but not for the reason thought. It was the power of the rain that I had underestimated... White pants + rain = may as well have no pants on. Needless to say, I was embarrassed enough that my cheeks flushed to a bright pink, not much different then the shade of the material now visable between my other two cheeks.

The moral of this story is: whomever made the original fashion rule that white was meant for spring and summer (a/k/a the rainy season) was a total perv. The lesson of this story is: do not wear white pants on a day when you might have to walk in the rain.

0 comments:

Post a Comment