
Fall Back (November 4, 2008)
After setting the clocks back Sunday morning, I frantically tried to set my body clock back into work mode. There were so many new things to consider. Did I fill out all of the emergency contact information for the nanny? Did I have all the breast pump accessories I'd need to take to the office with me? How much earlier would I have to wake up Monday morning? Would any of my old business clothing fit? As I felt the deadline closing in, Jason and I escaped to a lovely family owned Italian restaurant for a much needed break... and I considered it to be a "back to work, back to making money" celebratory dinner.
Monday morning, I awoke at 4:45 a.m. to Jackson's cries. He'd been asleep since 11:30 p.m. It was a miracle. After feeding him and getting everything organized, I showered, changed, packed lunch and kissed my boys good-bye. As I sat on I-4 just past the Lake Mary exit in gridlocked traffic due to an accident at the Altamonte exit, I thought to myself how routine it felt... as if I hadn't been home for six weeks. The normalcy continued to engulf me as I parked in my old spot in the parking garage, crossed Orange and climbed the back stairs to my office. That's when things began to feel off. My desk had been moved. My belongings were carelessly strewn about a dirty desk on the other side of the office. No one said good morning. My password didn't work to log-in. I spent 30 minutes putting away the office supplies in my desk and logging in with the new password obtained from a co-worker before our office manager/HR lady came to my desk and asked to talk to me. I assumed this is where I'd be caught up on the changes and happenings that had occurred in my absence. I was correct. One of the attorneys I worked for had been laid off and his last day was the end of the week. Apparently, my other attorney's workload was being distributed to the three other legal assistants... and that morning, the firm decided they'd like to keep it that way. Due to "the economy", they advised me at 9 a.m. that I was being laid off, too. With no notice to help me start looking for a new job, after driving in rush hour traffic for over an hour and wasting a quarter of a tank of gas... after bringing Jackson to meet them all last week on my day off... they asked me to box up my desk and turn in my office key.
So... I've been frantically applying for jobs since arriving home yesterday morning and praying that Obama wins this election... all while hugging my baby boy and trying not to cry.
Monday morning, I awoke at 4:45 a.m. to Jackson's cries. He'd been asleep since 11:30 p.m. It was a miracle. After feeding him and getting everything organized, I showered, changed, packed lunch and kissed my boys good-bye. As I sat on I-4 just past the Lake Mary exit in gridlocked traffic due to an accident at the Altamonte exit, I thought to myself how routine it felt... as if I hadn't been home for six weeks. The normalcy continued to engulf me as I parked in my old spot in the parking garage, crossed Orange and climbed the back stairs to my office. That's when things began to feel off. My desk had been moved. My belongings were carelessly strewn about a dirty desk on the other side of the office. No one said good morning. My password didn't work to log-in. I spent 30 minutes putting away the office supplies in my desk and logging in with the new password obtained from a co-worker before our office manager/HR lady came to my desk and asked to talk to me. I assumed this is where I'd be caught up on the changes and happenings that had occurred in my absence. I was correct. One of the attorneys I worked for had been laid off and his last day was the end of the week. Apparently, my other attorney's workload was being distributed to the three other legal assistants... and that morning, the firm decided they'd like to keep it that way. Due to "the economy", they advised me at 9 a.m. that I was being laid off, too. With no notice to help me start looking for a new job, after driving in rush hour traffic for over an hour and wasting a quarter of a tank of gas... after bringing Jackson to meet them all last week on my day off... they asked me to box up my desk and turn in my office key.
So... I've been frantically applying for jobs since arriving home yesterday morning and praying that Obama wins this election... all while hugging my baby boy and trying not to cry.


0 comments:
Post a Comment