...That's What She Said

Sporadic observations and accounts of my daily world and creative pursuits

Current Status:

Volunteers needed to critique a sci-fi short. Please feel free to comment if up for the challenge!

Quote of the Week:

“A short story is a different thing all together - a short story is like a kiss in the dark from a stranger.” ~Stephen King

The end of an era. (December 20, 2005)

I was thinking over the last week about how my recent entries contain a lot of focus on materialistic loss. I guess when you're driving around every day trying to get in some last minute shopping and attending holiday gatherings it opens up a lot of think time. Some of my most profound thoughts occur behind the wheel when I'm too far away from a computer or piece of scrap paper to jot them down. Another is shower time, but electronics and water don't mix... well, I guess some do, but that's not what I was referring to. Anyway, the daily dread of giving up my leased car for a free downgrade has finally come to a head (seriously people, get your mind out of the gutter, the shower comment was a whole sentence ago, sheesh!). I spent years fixing my image with things... and only this past year have I turned the focus inward and grown as a person. It wasn't until I saw the pictures below that I felt bad about how I've been acting. In an attempt to be funny and have keepsake photos of my goodbye to my car, I realized that this is the last lingering item from my old life... I left behind a person who held me back, a house full of stuff that wasn't really mine and a job that made me miserable. In returning the car to the dealership, I am severing the last bond that ties me to the woman I didn't want to be (but didn't know it at the time). Do I still want to make good money and be successful? Of course... but I don't want it to run my life. I've slowly grown and changed enough since last March and am happier then I've ever been and it has had nothing to do with money. Sometimes priorities just get out of order, sometimes you get caught up in being spoiled and sometimes you have to let go and decide what's most important in life. I'd give up a thousand sports cars in exchange for continued sharing with my newly acquired friends. Thank you to those of you who have played a part in my learning to be the best human being that I can be. Sorry, Christmas time must be getting to me...

Speaking of... here's a little something to lighten the mood. As further proof that the girl nicknamed "Daria" in high school has come a long way in life... I now present two rare photos of Tanya The 'Holiday' Reindeer. No, it wasn't completely a case of free wine and beer being available at the office 'Holiday Party' that brought her to the event... I'm told that she actually had fun being social and looking like a complete idiot! Enjoy:

Oh... and Merry Christmas to all of you!

0 comments:

Post a Comment