...That's What She Said

Sporadic observations and accounts of my daily world and creative pursuits

Current Status:

Volunteers needed to critique a sci-fi short. Please feel free to comment if up for the challenge!

Quote of the Week:

“A short story is a different thing all together - a short story is like a kiss in the dark from a stranger.” ~Stephen King

Cute vs. Gross (July 3, 2008)

Photobucket

At a doctor's visit last month the nurse asked me if I'd felt the baby move yet. I said no, but i wasn't sure because I've never had a baby inside me before and asked what it was supposed to feel like. She said, "like an alien thing squirming around your abdomen and poking at your internal organs just for fun." I thought she was making a joke. Over a month later, I can assure you that she wasn't.

I am so thankful that Jason shares my sense of humor about most of this pregnancy stuff. There has been more than one occasion where either he or I are reading one of our baby preparation books and we bring a page to the other exclaiming, "Eww, gross... did you read this?" Granted, there's some cute stuff, too... but it cannot compare to the ick factor I've been experiencing. I've heard stories over the course of my life about women who ENJOY being pregnant and how beautiful and wonderful the process is. I call "bullshit" in that card game. Cankles filled with so much fluid that your significant other gags when trying to rub your feet is not cute. Nor is it adorable when it feels like the little guy has got a limb caught in my rib cage or when he kicks my own arm off my stomach when I'm lying on the couch. My new stretchy over-sized granny panties are less then precious... and you don't even want to know what's going on with my nipples. Whoever thinks this is great and wants to willingly do this multiple times has to be a masochist or possess some form of voluntary memory loss.

However, I think that this explains why parents are more than happy to deal with teenagers who say they hate them, yet still borrow money, three year olds who refuse to use the potty and daughters who bring home less than desirable prom dates. All of that is a cake walk compared to having them grow into a human being inside your own body. Long story short... I cannot wait until Jackson is officially "here". That is when the cute will outweigh the gross. The Classic Pooh overalls that his grandma bought him, the stroller from other grandma, the stuffed animals, the tiny socks, the crib bedding... all of it is overwhelmingly adorable. It's only going to get cuter with him in it. I am looking forward to every second that happens post-birth... everything up to that point... well, I'm just counting the days until I can feel normal again. I've been wanting to be a mom for several years now, but I never said anything about wanting to be an incubator.

So... that is basically my answer for all those who've asked me how the pregnancy is going. It's exciting to read about his growth as he develops the ability to hear, feel, think... I am amazed by all of it. Knowing that he's coming into existence very soon makes me incredibly happy. However... he just bumped my arm again when I was trying to type and it was pretty gross.

*Editor's note: If any of you are worried about him picking up on negative vibes, please don't worry. It's all said with a smile when spoken... and as for this blog, news flash: babies can't read. (Hehe.)

0 comments:

Post a Comment