...That's What She Said

Sporadic observations and accounts of my daily world and creative pursuits

Current Status:

Volunteers needed to critique a sci-fi short. Please feel free to comment if up for the challenge!

Quote of the Week:

“A short story is a different thing all together - a short story is like a kiss in the dark from a stranger.” ~Stephen King

All Are One (August 2, 2006)

After days of self indulgent solitude, I went to see The Format play at HOB last Thursday night. I love their first album and after recently acquiring their new one, I wasn't sure what to expect. I was completely blown away (to say the least). Rainer Maria opened for them and I was pleased with that introduction... as they played, I noticed the bottom portion of the House of Blues logo being lit up... more so then any of the other decorative pieces adorning the curtain above the stage. "All Are One" was the glowing phrase. That line of thinking always speaks to me... and this night was no exception. The Format put on a fantastic show. I hadn't been to a really great concert since Of Montreal played The Social about 6 months ago. The high energy and familiar tunes would have been enough to life me up out of my two week funk, but I was given so much more. I cannot count how many times the lead singer paused and held the mic toward the crowd and each time, every single human being in that room with me loudly sang the lyrics for him... and throughout the songs, as I recited the words along with everyone else, nothing in this world could have suppressed the smile on my face or the happiness bubbling up from my heart. A hundred voices called out, "B is for believing you'd always be here for me. E is for everything, even when we'd see it though. C, c is for seeing through you, you are a fake, which brings me to A because, because, you always run away," and I felt like I belonged.... to that moment, to these people, to this town, to this world. Everyone in that venue has felt the same feelings that I have, some even felt the same emotions at the same exact time. We were all one... connected by the energy and the words that we shared. What other force in this life can open our eyes and make us shout at the top of our lungs, smiling through our pain, happy to be alive... together as one being? I know I've written long rants on my love for music in the past, but time and time again it comes through for me when I need it most.

As further proof, after an unplanned weekend of spontaneous events involving my favorite coffee house, an odd house party, breakfast at 5 AM and lots of beer... I ended up at Will's Pub. The purpose was to see a new friend and his band play, but it ended up being another event that moved my soul. While the opening bands all had their own high points and I enjoyed the enthusiasm that radiated from each, I don't find myself being pulled into the world of "screamer bands" any time soon. Then as the night came to a close, I connected with an alternative country band called The Heathens. Once again, I couldn't get over how happy and alive I felt while being a part of a live show. Once again, the lyrics pulled at my heart strings... and this time I had the lucky chance of witnessing what I have dubbed "The Happiest Mosh Pit of All Time." People weren't bashing into one another trying to cause havoc... but they were laughing, jumping, singing and hugging. It was beautiful. The energy that I shared with that crowd has kept me going all week. I think it was just what I needed.

I spent nearly two weeks on my own, organizing my thoughts and my place... it was good to rest, but now I see that it is better to feel alive, living each day as though it were your last... enjoying everyone and everything around you. If you are not, then you are simply not where you need to be. Remove yourself from negative situations and put yourself in the middle of a positive one. I've come to the conclusion that I really do control my own destiny and if I feel depressed, it is because I have chosen to feel that way. Now that I'm done dwelling on things that hurt me, confused me or temporarily knocked me off track... I am ready to live, learn and love again.

With that said, I want to thank the select few who reminded me that I wasn't alone and supported me during my time of self reflection... and now that the mental and emotional vacation has officially ended... let the real vacation to Key West begin!!!!! Girls Only Key West Party Weekend '06 is going to be unfreaking believable!!!! I can hardly contain my excitement and it feels great! It's good to be alive... and for the first time in weeks, it's good to be me.

0 comments:

Post a Comment