...That's What She Said

Sporadic observations and accounts of my daily world and creative pursuits

Current Status:

Volunteers needed to critique a sci-fi short. Please feel free to comment if up for the challenge!

Quote of the Week:

“A short story is a different thing all together - a short story is like a kiss in the dark from a stranger.” ~Stephen King

5 Years... (October 18, 2006)

Five years ago today I lost someone I loved. Four, three and two years ago, many tears spilled from my eyes and I mourned the loss at a place we spent many afternoons taking pictures. One year ago, my mourning place was demolished and rebuilt as a Home Depot parking lot which helped me start letting go of the pain. Today, I have not cried as a result of emptiness and sad nostalgia... for today I feel that this is the first anniversary in which my friend would be happy for me. It may have taken five years, but I think I'm close to being the person he knew I could be. Today, I look forward to fulfilling his final wish because I realize that I am finally at a place in my life where I am able to keep that promise. Today, I look back on fond memories of the first person to see the real me that dwelled just beneath the surface and encouraged change. Today, I miss my best friend of years past, but I am cherishing the best friends I have now. I only wish they could have known him... he was the kind of friend that made a difference in every life that he touched. I am lucky that our paths crossed and I am thankful for the role he played in my ongoing journey. Today... was a good day.

0 comments:

Post a Comment