
IWSG: Learning to Share
It's a new year, but luckily, traditions carry over... thanks to Alex J. Cavanaugh, we insecure writers come together to share our pitfalls and inspirations on the first Wednesday of every month. To learn more, click the photo link.
My first IWSG installment is going to be a brief one, mainly because I won't be able to hop around to everyone else's posts to offer support and draw inspiration until the weekend after I've gotten some rest... that's right, if you actually read my previous post, you'll know that I'm still recovering from some minor brain trauma and the computer screen is not my best friend right now. That being said, I do have an insecurity to share and I'll stop back by in a few days to participate with a little more gusto. My question for those much farther along in their pursuit of becoming a published author is this: Where/how/when do you find good critique partners? I've finally completed one of my WIPs and I'm doing my first round of editing on the first draft. At what point to you take this work, this thing of your own creation, and just trustingly hand it over to someone? And where do you find that someone (or someones)... how many should there be?



I try to keep my manuscripts in the hands of people I know I can trust. I do a round of editing myself, then give my manuscript out to about four people, and then do another round of editing from the feedback I receive. I actually haven't gone out to find writer CPs, I've just used friends and family members. I would be good to get a writer's opinion. I'm interested if you ever want to swap some pages.
Good question, wish I had partners, but sadly no one loves me.... Just kidding. I guess find that person that has some experience, pay them lots of money to say they love it no matter what and your writing is too perfect to change. Heck, I can do that! Just believe the first part of that sentence.;-)
Like michael said, id swap pages with you any day, or if you just want a second pair of eyes.
Hi, T! For some critique ideas, try falling4fiction.blogspot.com. So sorry to hear about your head trauma. Did I read it was a concussion? Hope you're on the road to recovery! Good luck with putting your work out there. WIP's definitely need to be seen by other eyes. :)
I'm sorry!!
I just posted a call for help about two years ago and had over a dozen offers of critique partners. Narrowed it down to three who were great.
Find those who are at your level and write in the same genre if possible.
I'm glad you've been able to complete it! Getting readers can be difficult.
I started with family, who gave me good input. Then I uploaded the manuscript to Authonomy.com, where I got some very good input. You give critique and you get it. It's a good but overwhelming site, if you've never been on it.
I wish you all the luck.
My own experience was that I met some on a critique loop and at writers conferences. You may go through a few before you find the right ones for you. Also, try to find someone in your genre with opposite strengths.
Good luck!!
Great question.Not only do us authors lack objectivity about our writing, but it's difficult to catch our mistakes. Critique partners help us to do just this.
I am a member of a local writer's group. Most towns or cities have them, check book stores, etc. If not, you can form one on your own. Also, I found two excellent online sites for writers. The first is Critters.org. This site is unique because it allows you to submit an entire novel for review, where others ask for a chapter at a time. It's a reciprocal process and you are required to critique a certain number of works per month.
The second site is Scribophile, a personal favorite. Also reciprocal but the feedback I've received has been very helpful. There are also member forums, etc where you can ask questions of experts, etc.
Both sites are excellent for critiques. I haven't been on either for a while. I figured the time I spent critiquing could be used for finishing my manuscript. Once it's polished, I'll begin participating on the sites again. Hope this helps. Let me know what you think about the sites. I promise you won't be disappointed.
Thanks Michael & Tammy... I admire both of your writing styles, so heck yes, I'd swap pages with you! I just need to finish editing before I'm confident enough to share... almost there ;-)
Candilynn & Alex, thank you & I'm ok now... hoping a bump on the head knocked some new ideas around. And thanks for the advice... it's much appreciated!
Nancy, Ciara & Andrea, thanks so much... these are great tips and I will most definitely look into the suggested sites!
Well... Some blogs host crit partner match ups.
I picked guys I know from blogging.
Also, remember you can prove you wrote a novel before them if you e-mail it. :-)