...That's What She Said

Sporadic observations and accounts of my daily world and creative pursuits

Current Status:

Volunteers needed to critique a sci-fi short. Please feel free to comment if up for the challenge!

Quote of the Week:

“A short story is a different thing all together - a short story is like a kiss in the dark from a stranger.” ~Stephen King

IWSG: The Finish Line


Well, it's that time once again... thanks to Alex J. Cavanaugh, we insecure writers come together to share our pitfalls and inspirations on the first Wednesday of every month.  To learn more, click the photo link.

Has it been a whole month already? It seems like only a week ago that I posted about my procrastination insecurities, which turned out to be pretty therapeutic, actually.  However, I must admit with some amount of shame that I have not touched my memoir style WIP.  Before anyone skips to the next IWSG blog for fear of this one launching into a thousand excuses, let me explain that I only put it aside to work on my sci-fi short instead. Despite encouragement and feedback that did me worlds of good, I had to switch gears.  Every time I sat down to compile my book, that unfinished short story loomed over me like a broken promise. Putting all procrastination aside, I finally made headway.  I am 75% done with my futuristic tale of a utopia gone wrong and I my goal is to be done editing it by Christmas. My only lingering insecurity now is in finishing... and then soliciting people to read my first full work in over a decade.  Sure, I've done well blogging and writing quick flash fiction... but a complete story, a final draft... to be judged and sent out into the world...  I can't help but wonder how that will impact my book of a completely different genre. I sincerely hope that my science fiction won't put a label on me or discourage anyone from reading my slightly embellished non-fiction. But worries shouldn't deter me... this story obviously wants to get out of my head or it wouldn't have been bothering me so much lately, right?

6 comments:

  1. Unknown said...
     

    A futuristic tale of Utopia gone wrong - sounds delightful!

    Goodness, I have so many things in the works that I'm constantly shifting, working on one, another, another...all the while trying to finish THE BOOK.

    It's a delicate juggling act, and one where I've dropped the ball many times. But I just pick up the mess and throw it all up in the air again.

    One day it will land in a perfect pyramid.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog...your comment was very welcome!

  2. Alex J. Cavanaugh said...
     

    If you select good critique partners, you'll be fine. Congratulations and hope you finish soon!

  3. Unknown said...
     

    Is your science fiction book the same as the short stories you were releasing on your blog months back? I'm excited for you; it sounds like you're really close! Totally unrelated to this post (but related to one of your earlier posts) I am 4 days coffee free. Caffeine free, actually. My first time in about 12 years. I thought you might appreciate that. Happy editing!

  4. Lexie Rising said...
     

    Very cool about your Sci-Fi short! That's wonderful and I wish you much success in finishing it and letting it out to the world! :)

  5. Cherie Colyer said...
     

    Congrats on reaching 75% on your Sci-Fi novel. That's great! Like Alex said, if you have great critique partners you'll be fine.

  6. T said...
     

    I appreciate all the enthusiasm regarding my little sci-fi adventure... Thanks, everyone! I hope some of you will be the first to read it. And yes, Michael, that is AWESOME news! Way to go :-)

Post a Comment