
IWSG: The Reboot
It's that time of the month again... no, not THAT... it's the first Wednesday, but I am feeling a little testy all the same because I've been slowly weaning myself off caffeine this week. Why would I do such a crazy thing? Well, read on and you'll see...
Today, I'm not going to complain about how I'm having trouble balancing life with my creative writing pursuits, nor will I focus on the negativity that can come with having your work judged by others. Instead, I'm going to elaborate on my plan to restore balance in all aspects of my life. It is my hope that the end result of this plan will get my creative juices flowing again... literally.
Last month, my husband was diagnosed with a bad case of colitis, very likely ulcerative colitis, though an upcoming colonoscopy is needed to confirm the condition. Having just started a new job, that an unexpected stay in the ER promptly put an end to, he did not have health insurance. Home, sick and worried, he stumbled across a documentary by Joe Cross called "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead". He was so inspired, that he asked me to watch it as well. In summary, it's the story of an overweight man with an autoimmune disease that medicine couldn't cure, who sets out on a journey to allow his body to heal itself. Joe trades in junk food for fresh fruit and vegetable juice... for 60 days. Now, two months is a bit extreme in my opinion, but the results were amazing. Even more amazing was the story of another man that Joe met along the way. I don't want to ruin anything for those interested in watching it (you can stream it on Netflix right now), nor do I want to sound like an infomercial. However, if you're feeling stuck in a rut, lacking a creative spark or if you've put on a few pounds recently by spending too much time sitting at your desk... maybe the best thing you can do to get back on track is to reboot... your body, not your computer. ;-)
This past weekend, I purchased a Breville Juice Fountain. This Friday, my husband and I will begin a 10 day juice cleanse. I've got my kale leaves, cucumber, spinach, celery, apples, lemon and ginger root ready to go. While my husband is seeking relief for heath issues, I'm participating partially for support, but partially because I think I need this almost as much as he does. If my body were a machine, and my brain an engine... my lack of story completion could very well be due to an overdue tune-up. And, of course, some actual laps around the block couldn't hurt, either! I'm not sure I'll have the energy to blog every step of the way, but I feel very good about my upcoming challenge. I look forward to feeling healthier, more energized... and with luck, inspired to write more often and with a greater purpose.
Wish me luck!
Last month, my husband was diagnosed with a bad case of colitis, very likely ulcerative colitis, though an upcoming colonoscopy is needed to confirm the condition. Having just started a new job, that an unexpected stay in the ER promptly put an end to, he did not have health insurance. Home, sick and worried, he stumbled across a documentary by Joe Cross called "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead". He was so inspired, that he asked me to watch it as well. In summary, it's the story of an overweight man with an autoimmune disease that medicine couldn't cure, who sets out on a journey to allow his body to heal itself. Joe trades in junk food for fresh fruit and vegetable juice... for 60 days. Now, two months is a bit extreme in my opinion, but the results were amazing. Even more amazing was the story of another man that Joe met along the way. I don't want to ruin anything for those interested in watching it (you can stream it on Netflix right now), nor do I want to sound like an infomercial. However, if you're feeling stuck in a rut, lacking a creative spark or if you've put on a few pounds recently by spending too much time sitting at your desk... maybe the best thing you can do to get back on track is to reboot... your body, not your computer. ;-)
This past weekend, I purchased a Breville Juice Fountain. This Friday, my husband and I will begin a 10 day juice cleanse. I've got my kale leaves, cucumber, spinach, celery, apples, lemon and ginger root ready to go. While my husband is seeking relief for heath issues, I'm participating partially for support, but partially because I think I need this almost as much as he does. If my body were a machine, and my brain an engine... my lack of story completion could very well be due to an overdue tune-up. And, of course, some actual laps around the block couldn't hurt, either! I'm not sure I'll have the energy to blog every step of the way, but I feel very good about my upcoming challenge. I look forward to feeling healthier, more energized... and with luck, inspired to write more often and with a greater purpose.




Ooh, good luck! You can do it, and if you are getting a huge dose of veggies and fruits, you can't help but feel better. I would predict a huge upswing in energy within a couple days. Remember to drink extra water while you are cleansing so you can rid your body of toxins!
Good luck! I've been trying to motivate myself recently to start exercising and eating better just to feel better, get more energy, and clear my head. It's hard to accomplish all that I want to when I've been continually feeling lousy. Cheers to better health (and to bring about better writing!). :)
Thanks, Millie! I have been drinking a ton of water... and day two has featured less of a headache so far than day one. No energy yet, but I've read that comes after day three... fingers crossed!
Avoiding costly medical bills for the hubs was my biggest motivation... I hope you find yours in something less critical and are well on the road to recovery yourself. I'd say "cheers" back... but if you saw the green sludge in my glass, you might be revolted ;-)
How is the fast going? Do you feel better? Does your husband?
I can't recommend checking out Forks over Knives enough! I have watched the movie and read the book, and they come with so much inspiration. Ever since I became a plant-based foodie, my stomach problems have cleared.