
Welcome to the future.
Here I am in 2010 (pronounced "twenty ten"). It seems strange that the last four years of my life were condensed into 125 blog entries... and even stranger that the first one was so very long ago. Writing about my separation from my longest serious relationship and embarking on new adventures that led to knowing my mother, making real best friends, auto related mishaps, a lost love interest (or two), camping and much, much, much dancing. Then there was a major shift just over one year ago as I began my more recent journey into unemployment and (finally) re-employment, maintaining a house, parenthood, marriage... and I wrote less and less. My Threadless T-shirts began to have more personality than the one wearing them. A few of friends asked me to pick up my old habit of journaling, but it seemed so hard to find the time. Then Facebook came along and made everyone lazy. Why post a thought provoking blog when you could simply overload everyone's newsfeed with a bazillion status updates about what you're doing just to see if anyone "likes" it? A one sentence long status that gets several comments can seem more rewarding than putting 30 minutes of carefully planned typing out there with not so much as a single response. It was this line of thinking that addressed the problem for me. I've gotten away from sending my words out into the interwebs for my own benefit... like so many others, I'd begun doing it for a reaction. Well, the cycle ends here. I was happier when I wrote about all the things I'd found amusing in my daily routine. I was happier when I could sit at my computer, listen to iTunes and vent about what I thought was wrong with the world around me. I was happier when I would review my last week's worth of entries and giggle to myself over how clever I was... for after all, I really am my biggest fan. So... the blog sloth I've become dies tonight. Quite frankly, I've had it with myself.
Just to tie up some loose ends... I suppose I should lament at least a little on the oddity that was 2009. It was equally wonderful and difficult, as seen in the blog archives all listed within "December 2009". To recap: I began with a three month old baby, no job and an hour commute between myself and the majority of my friends. In the middle, I acquired a bit of freelance work, got better at parenting, was informed my mother was dying of cancer and began planning my wedding. Toward the end, I got better at communicating with my soon-to-be husband and grew even closer to him, found a real job, was informed that my mother was a freak of nature (having gone into remission after hard core treatments with a predicted survival chance of less than 40%) and somehow managed to have a picture perfect wedding... with perfect pictures to prove it. The last part wasn't documented very well... but this is the future now, so I'm going with it. Christmas came and went in a blur and hubby and I rang in the new year with cheap champagne and Aliens. Why the second movie and not the first (which is far superior)? Who knows? I think we were supposed to watch Funny People but were too tired to get up and put a DVD in... and Aliens was already on the tube. Meh. They say "all's well that ends well"... so I suppose that's where I ended up... and isn't that all that matters?
In the near future, I expect to lament on friendship and love, resume my office related stories, review random music and/or movie experiences... and on occasion, share parenting tips the way that only I could. I've got some fresh ideas about the Powers That Be, too. Stay tuned, Me. This year's online documentation could prove to be the best material yet for that book I'm supposed to write.
Just to tie up some loose ends... I suppose I should lament at least a little on the oddity that was 2009. It was equally wonderful and difficult, as seen in the blog archives all listed within "December 2009". To recap: I began with a three month old baby, no job and an hour commute between myself and the majority of my friends. In the middle, I acquired a bit of freelance work, got better at parenting, was informed my mother was dying of cancer and began planning my wedding. Toward the end, I got better at communicating with my soon-to-be husband and grew even closer to him, found a real job, was informed that my mother was a freak of nature (having gone into remission after hard core treatments with a predicted survival chance of less than 40%) and somehow managed to have a picture perfect wedding... with perfect pictures to prove it. The last part wasn't documented very well... but this is the future now, so I'm going with it. Christmas came and went in a blur and hubby and I rang in the new year with cheap champagne and Aliens. Why the second movie and not the first (which is far superior)? Who knows? I think we were supposed to watch Funny People but were too tired to get up and put a DVD in... and Aliens was already on the tube. Meh. They say "all's well that ends well"... so I suppose that's where I ended up... and isn't that all that matters?
In the near future, I expect to lament on friendship and love, resume my office related stories, review random music and/or movie experiences... and on occasion, share parenting tips the way that only I could. I've got some fresh ideas about the Powers That Be, too. Stay tuned, Me. This year's online documentation could prove to be the best material yet for that book I'm supposed to write.


YEY!!! I'm glad you are blogging again. I need to take a page from your book. I too blame facebook for the demise of my blog. Maybe I will get some inspiration from you to write again. xoxo