
When do mommy birds sleep? (June 1, 2007)
Last night, Amy found an abandoned baby bird. After a while of no parent bird coming to its rescue, she scooped it up and brought it to my place so that we could hit the pet store to purchase food so that it would survive until we were able to find a wildlife rescue that was open (since 8:30 on a Thursday night didn't seem to be one of those times). I didn't want to call animal control, because I would rest easier knowing that someone specializing in song birds was caring for her/him. Having spend oodles of time volunteering at a Volusia County wildlife rescue growing up and having collected every girl scout nature badge they could have come up with, I was confident that the birdie wouldn't die on my watch. Getting it acclimated to the wild in a few weeks and not attached to humans, however... that is not something I know how to do. Either tonight or tomorrow morning, this adorable little creature will be in expert hands, but for now, she/he is bundled up under a warm light at my desk here at the office. About every two hours, the peeping begins and I carefully follow the instructions on the container of baby bird formula and feed her/him with an eyedropper... while at least one (or almost all) of my co-workers gather around and say "Awwwww". Despite the fact that the peeping woke me up at 2:20 AM and again at 4:30 AM, my heart still feels all warm and fuzzy each time my fostered little birdie eats. I'm grumpy, tired and on my 5th cup of coffee for the day... and in addition to falling in love with this little bird, I have a new found respect for mothers everywhere. When Jonathan spoke of his love for his love bird, I would always compare it to my love for my dog to be able to relate... however, I think I may have gained a new understanding. Both my pets were pound animals, both fully grown when I adopted them. This is my very first solitary encounter with a nearly newborn creature... so fragile and dependent on everything I do. If this bird were a pet, I can only imagine the bond I would share with it as it grew up. This whole experience has been amazing. I think I have a new found respect for Jonathan's recent loss, too.
Now, to avoid teary eyes... here is some cuteness:

Say it with me, "Awwwwwwww."


0 comments:
Post a Comment