...That's What She Said

Sporadic observations and accounts of my daily world and creative pursuits

Current Status:

Volunteers needed to critique a sci-fi short. Please feel free to comment if up for the challenge!

Quote of the Week:

“A short story is a different thing all together - a short story is like a kiss in the dark from a stranger.” ~Stephen King

Making friends... in bars... and freezers. (August 21, 2005)

This entry marks the end of another weekend and so I will once again attempt to recap all pertinent events to better remember them in the future.

Late last week, I began making penguin ice sculptures with a rubber mold. I have five of them living in my freezer now. I don't have any food in there at the moment, so why not have a few freezer mascots? Once I have a whole colony formed, I will take a picture... and it may very well be my best work.

After several attempts at avoiding an after work happy hour event, I succumbed to the pressure of my soon-to-be-ex-co-workers. Under the condition that someone pick me up and take me home, I agreed to join them for Friday night drink specials. I absolutely hate doing something that I've said I would NEVER do. Why I went against everything I believe in and allowed myself to be dragged to one of the worst clubs downtown that I could ever possibly end up at I may never know. I'm sure there are many that love Club Paris, but the music is not my style, the usual too drunk to care crowd is not my style... and dear God, the entire place was pink. I suppose the draw is the 3 for 1 special that starts out the night. Needless to say, this special lead to unwanted flirtation and the utter stupidity of several of my fellow employees. Someone has a picture of me trying to avoid a kiss on their camera phone, another ended the night face down in a trash can and one poor attorney lost all of the buttons from his shirt (you don't want to know). The only good thing that came from this night was the fact that I spent time with one co-worker who's been a good friend over the last 3.5 years (he doesn't get out much, so his attendance was the rarity that convinced me to go in the first place) and I bonded with a girl whom I've been friendly with, but didn't know well enough to call her a friend. Now that she's vomited in my trash can and spent a night on my couch, I guess that seals the bond. I would not have participated in such an event had it not been for the fact that I gave my two week's notice last Tuesday. I've acquired a higher paying job at a much larger law firm downtown and I start there after Labor Day weekend. Since I only have to be embarrassed that I work with some of these people for a little over another week, I guess I thought it might not be so bad.

Saturday consisted of some recovery time, a couple of naps, Charlie and The Chocolate Factory (my review of this movie is not even worth typing), an enlightening chat about my most recent dating mishap with my best friend from high school ... and a visit to my buttonless attorney friend at the end of the night. This time there was less drinking and my couch was very lonely, as it should be.

Today, I was awakened by a call from a delirious friend who'd worked through the night (always entertaining) and then I drove off to Deltona to visit my step mom and see if I could help her straighten out a few things on her computer. After failing to correct her connection problem to Yahoo IM, we ate dinner and walked around the yard by the lake as the sun was setting. I was touched by a deep sense of nostalgia as I stared up into the oak tree that I used to climb to my reading perch, one of the few places I found peace from my younger brother. Following that feeling, I decided to peek in the closet of my old empty bedroom. Completely killing the happy nostalgia I had going, I was greeted by this horrid clown doll that an old lady had made for me when I was about seven or eight years old. I believe it was around that time period that I saw Poltergeist... and let's just say that the clown that tried to eat the little boy has nothing on this one. I never liked clowns that much, and after the movie, I was completely creeped out by them. Even though it was in my closet, I knew it could still watch me sleep through the slats in the doors, so I put it in my brother's closet in the hopes that it would eat him instead. I didn't want to touch it, but one of these days I will have to destroy it. If evil has a face, it would look just like the one belonging to this dreadful doll.

Hmmm... so what did I learn this weekend? Well, for one... the only thing that would make Club Paris worse would be if they had clowns there... oh, and spiders and monkeys... I hate them, too. A hot pink club playing horrible 90's dance music with circus clowns and monkeys dancing on stage and spiders crawling up the walls... that would be my worst nightmare. On that note, off to sleep...

0 comments:

Post a Comment