...That's What She Said

Sporadic observations and accounts of my daily world and creative pursuits

Current Status:

Volunteers needed to critique a sci-fi short. Please feel free to comment if up for the challenge!

Quote of the Week:

“A short story is a different thing all together - a short story is like a kiss in the dark from a stranger.” ~Stephen King

Leaning tower of P... (hint: not Piza) (August 20, 2007)

I'm starting to receive messages of concern as to my recent lack of blogging... so just to prove to my friends that I'm not in a state of depression and that I'm ok, I'm going to force myself to type out the three or four blog ideas that I've had in my head, but for whatever reason have not shared with my fans. Here is the first one. I promise they'll get better as I get back into the swing of things.

Last week we had a bake off at work. There were five categories to enter into: chocolate, patriotic, tallest, exotic and lighter side. I made some apple crunch bread to enter into the patriotic category, since everyone else was making red, white and blue cakes or apple pie. I decided to be overly ambitious and also found a recipe for Suix Indian Pudding to use for the exotic. Because it was brown, gooey and just kind of there in a pan with no way to spice up the presentation, I nicknamed it "Suix Poo" (pronounced Soo Poo) and no one ate it. The bread went over well, but I didn't win that one either. Luckily, in an effort to be a team player, I convinced a handful of my co-workers to join together and enter into the tallest category. Six of us baked brownies, cake and made Rice Krispy treats and brought them in to cut up into "bricks" and construct a Treat Tower. We spent most of last Friday morning sticking everything together and trying not to let it fall over. One of the rules of the contest was that everything had to be edible and you couldn't use toothpicks or anything that was actually stable. Since I'd once made a unicorn sculpture out of Rice Krispy treats in girl scouts, I decided that I would make a castle-like topper for our building. My first attempt got a lot of giggles as it was rather long and kept leaning to the left. I squished it as much as I could, made the "roof" of it as pointy as I could and drew a window on the front of it with chocolate icing... and after all that work, it looked slightly less like a penis. Needless to say, no one else entered and we won by default... but the top of our tower was the first thing to go when the contest was over and the treats were put out for consumption. I know we have a lot of women at our office, so maybe it's better that I didn't see who ran off with my crispy column topper... the more I wonder about that, the less likely I'll be to ever eat Rice Krispies for breakfast.

0 comments:

Post a Comment