...That's What She Said

Sporadic observations and accounts of my daily world and creative pursuits

Current Status:

Volunteers needed to critique a sci-fi short. Please feel free to comment if up for the challenge!

Quote of the Week:

“A short story is a different thing all together - a short story is like a kiss in the dark from a stranger.” ~Stephen King

Big person on a little bike. (September 10, 2007)

This morning was fun. You would think it wouldn't be too hot at 8:30 in the morning, but guess what... it is. After yesterday's sweat fest I decided to be more prepared today by wearing a light little camisole top and flip flops, carrying an over-shirt and heels in a bag. It's only like six or seven blocks and I only have to cross one major intersection, so you wouldn't think I'd need an entire wardrobe change just to ride a bike to work, right? No... wrong, very, very wrong. Somewhere on Hyer or Jefferson or one of those side streets that I've been taking to avoid traffic, the hem of my dress pants got caught in the bike chain... and I ate a little grass for breakfast. One of my favorite pairs of work pants are ripped, but I'm otherwise unscathed by the topple. No one saw me, either, so my pride also went undamaged. It gave my co-workers a giggle as they helped me tape my pants as a temporary fix, so I guess if it made others happy, it was worth it... or something like that. The funny thing is that I'm not pissed off, not at all. I'm not even that worried about the car anymore. It is, after all, just a car. I'm trying to delay the insurance people from having it towed to the shop until this weekend because I'm trying to make sure the day the car is done and payment is due falls closer to payday next week so that I don't break the bank... but aside from that, I'm not stressed anymore.

Last night, after I straightened up around the apartment and took Hershey on a nice walk, I decided to relax with a movie. It was one of those super sappy chick flicks that gives you a little cry at the end even if you've seen it before and you know what's going to happen. Ten cool points go to whoever guesses the title first (Ok, so maybe not cool points, but some kind of points that you can trade in for free Tanya time). If anyone guesses The Notebook, then you are automatically disqualified as my friend because anyone who knows me would know that I *hate* that movie and wouldn't even accept a large sum of money to watch it again. Back to my point, last night's flick was also one of the movies that serves as a very obvious reminder not to take things for granted, not to be afraid of taking chances on people, of risking hurt or pain and appreciating the life we have while we have it. The fact that I have lost quite a few friends and family over the years makes me a prime candidate for jumping on the "live life to its fullest" bandwagon with even the most cliché reminder from Hollywood. For that I am grateful. Sometimes I think that the ability to want to change your perspective, attitude or even your entire outlook on life based on the tiniest thing is more of a gift then only being able to seek such change when the Universe gives you a hard slap on the face. It doesn't take much to give myself a reality check, and that makes me a much happier person. That and the fact that I just remembered I have a little bit of chocolate in the butter drawer of my fridge at home... oh yes, that just made me much happier. Knowing I have a delicious treat waiting for me should make the bike ride home a little better, too. I just need to remember to roll up my pants this time. If anyone out there is in need of a good laugh, just drive around downtown at 5:00 and watch me pedal my ridiculous little bike. Better yet, pull over and give me a ride if you've got a big trunk!

0 comments:

Post a Comment