
Arnold was wrong. (April 23, 2009)
I wrote my "this is what I'm worth, take it or leave it" email last Thursday. On Friday, I received a reply from the attorney saying, "After our interview last week I decided that if I couldn't afford to hire you, then I wouldn't hire anyone at all. Let's meet for lunch next week to talk about finding a way to make this work." While this did wonders to pad my ego, I was uncertain that it would do the same for my bank account. Yesterday, I met him for a lunch meeting. The Thai was good. The conversation was better. To sum it up, here are the highlights: I'm going to start out part-time while still collecting some unemployment benefits. After the first month, the hours will ramp up as the work comes in. I will then become an official full time employee (at the wage I demanded) after using that first month as a way to get familiar with the system he's created on the Mac and the procedures that will make this paperless office run smoothly. My foreclosure experience is going to play a huge role in laying the ground work for our first two test files that we should receive in two weeks. By July, I should have health benefits, an hourly base pay plus commision bonuses on the amount of work we're doing, plus paid internet and cell phone by the company. Why, you ask? Oh, because I'll be working mostly from home! We're installing all of his software on my Mac next week... and then once the ball gets rolling (toward year end), he wants to upgrade me to an iPhone and a Macbook so that I'm capable of doing everything that he is with the same equiptment. I'll only have to go in to the office to scan documents into the system and do a little organization once or twice a week and I get to make my own hours. In fact, he suggested that I work mostly in the evenings so that I don't have to pay a nanny and can still be a stay at home mom. I put this deal in writing today and I officially start on Monday. For my first week, he'll be out of town. He's asked that while he's away, I work on updating his website and write a bunch of blogs about the company. Considering my love of blogging, I think he hired the right woman.
I know the first couple of months will be a little risky... and the Universe has been tempting me with ideal job matches popping up out of nowhere the last two days. One firm is less than 2 minutes from my house and is looking for a paralegal with EXACTLY my experience. If I sent in my resume, I know I'd get an interview. However, I'm ready to try something a little different from the normal 9 to 5 cubicle work life... and on top of that I'm going to be needing time off for long weekends in the near future. With a more corporate job, vacation time is not something I'd get up front. With the business venture I've embarked on, I can go out of town as needed. This fact is what sealed the deal for me. The reason I'll need time off is also the reason for last week's uneasy feeling.
So here it is. I'm going to need to start visiting Miami a little more often. My mother has been diagnosed with late stage cancer. Test results should begin a game plan next Tuesday. I really don't want to get into any further detail right now... but I will say that I regret making jokes and proclaiming that I am a "cancer magnet". I now feel like the posterchild for getting back exactly what you project out into the Universe. Of course, I know I didn't cause anything... the timing is just ironic, I suppose.
I know, this started out as such a positive blog... sorry. Debbie Downer over and out.


0 comments:
Post a Comment